Tom's Trip to South East Asia

Out of the 'Boat for a few months of tropical travel. No lease, No Dog, No work, No snow, might be the best time of my life to do something extreme. Watch from your office as I soak in sun and culture in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this mud season.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Heading to the beach tonight. Yesterday Juliana and I switched accommodations in Bangkok after finding a super cheap place in the same neighborhood. Our second night was at River Guesthouse for 100BT each about 2.50USD. It was bare basics with a bed a fan and shared baths with no hot water. And it was comfortable enough for a slug like me. After moving we headed to Wat Pho by river ferry and explored the complex of Buddhist shrines for the afternoon. The most amazing one their was the giant reclining reclining Buddha statue that was about 100 yards in length. After that we took a tuk-tuk (three wheel motorcycle with a bench behind the driver) ride to the lucky Buddha and eventually to a tourist information office. En route we stopped at three different tailors. Tuk-tuks apparently get their gas money by bringing tourists to be sold suits. The sales agents were persistent and kind of annoying but for agreeing to go we had a personal driver for about three hours for 20 bt. The tourist info office was very helpful and set me up with tickets and accommodations for the next three weeks through Thailand and into Laos. First I will be going to Ko Phang An for the full moon festival this weekend then on to Ko Tao to get my dive license then Ko Samui for sight seeing and sunbathing before returning to the mainland to fly North to Chang Mai in the Northern mountains where I will go on a backcountry trek and get a cooking class. After Chang Mai I will travel into Laos and go by boat to Luang Prabang. This whole itinerary with transport activities and accommodations will cost me 836USD for the next 25 days or so. Mom, I'll email dates to you after I pick up my tickets.
Last night was spent exploring Kaoh San rd and the backpacker nightlife. This morning we went to the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha before hitting mid day computer. I'm very happy to have my plans confirmed. I will miss having Juliana along as we got along quiet well, but hope to meet some new partners soon. I'll write again soon. Sorry no photos this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home