Tom's Trip to South East Asia

Out of the 'Boat for a few months of tropical travel. No lease, No Dog, No work, No snow, might be the best time of my life to do something extreme. Watch from your office as I soak in sun and culture in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this mud season.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Hi everybody. I'm still in Ko Phangan, staying in a bungalow a little south of the pier right on Bantai beach. It is really relaxing here. Haven't really done much activity other than hanging around the grounds. It is lots of fun because the other people staying there are friendly and fun to have conversations with. I have spent most of my time talking with a young Finnish couple who also work at a ski resort in Laapland. Last night was the full moon party a big beach rave that attracted maybe 10,000 people to dance all night on the beach. It was fun but the music wasn't my taste, mostly heavy industrial techno. The Isreali's are on holiday in force right now and they seemed to love it. But there are people from all over who came to the party and lots of thai's. The thai's seem to love really poppy American hip-hop for dance music. So there were sound systems catering to that. People were launching hot air balloons with fire balls in side them and they populated the sky above the beach like stars as the soured high and far away. It was pretty cool as more and more launched and got away from the beach. I have never been to such a big party and it was cool to be around so many people getting crazy. I was always with one group or another of travelers from my guesthouse or people I have met along the way. I was worried before I left about being alone and it is hard to find a moment to myself.

Tomorrow I take the ferry north to Ko Tao about fifteen kilometers away to start dive classes on Tuesday. By Friday I ought to be an open water certified padi diver. Pretty cool. I'm excited. I'll let you know how the class is going after I've started but it sounds like it might be a bit of a drag, until we get into the water on Thursday. But nothing has gotten me down yet, I don't think a classroom will.

Sorry no photos but my camera requires software that I can't find on any computers.

2 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger mom said...

I'm happy your trip is exceeding expectations. Hope your camera links up sometime soon. Three days is about my comfort zone on posts, thanks for getting one done. Fall is coming on strong here, cool and leaves turning. Keep truckin'. mom.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger George said...

Tom, your trip sounds great. FYI, I've heard some crazy stories about those Tuk-Tuk drivers, be careful hombre. How are the food and drinks? Blogs are great, I really enjoy em. take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home