Tom's Trip to South East Asia

Out of the 'Boat for a few months of tropical travel. No lease, No Dog, No work, No snow, might be the best time of my life to do something extreme. Watch from your office as I soak in sun and culture in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this mud season.

Monday, October 02, 2006



Made it. Took 28 hours from when Joe dropped me at DIA to touch down at the brand new airport in Bangkok. No visible signs of military control has me feeling secure enough to spend a few nights here before heading to the beach. On my way over I met a really interesting people on all of my flights and we always had a seat open between us. From Denver to LA I sat with a Afghan-american third year CU med student who was quiet jealous and also very interesting to discuss international politics with. At the bar in LA's Tom Bradley Airport I met a brand newly wed couple from Joplin Missouri on their way to Bangkok, on the same flight, to begin their honeymoon. My flight to Taipei introduced me to Jason an American who has been living and traveling in Asia since he was eighteen. He now lives in Phnom Penh working for an NGO and has offered me advice and some hospitality when I make it to his town. Waiting in immigration line I met Juliana from Minneapolis, whom I later ran into as I was agreeing on a guesthouse room. We ended up sharing our room last night to save money and are headed off to The royal palace to sightsee and maybe spot a tank. We are staying in the backpaker district in a clean and basic room in guesthouse called At Home for 225 Bt each (around 9USD). Everything seems to be falling into place for now and I am very happy and excited to continue.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger travisalaxander82247492 said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger mom said...

thanks for the quick post on arrival, 28 hours is a loooong time in transit. GLad you found your first traveling companion so quickly. Does she have a blog too? I am excited for you trek. Stay safe,healthy and have a grand time. Love mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home