Tom's Trip to South East Asia

Out of the 'Boat for a few months of tropical travel. No lease, No Dog, No work, No snow, might be the best time of my life to do something extreme. Watch from your office as I soak in sun and culture in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this mud season.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Happy birthday to me, in Phnom Penh. I don't have much time for a post because I have to met some friends, but thought I would check in. Thanks to those who have sent me good wishes. Phnom Penh has been interesting, and kinda lazy. There is backpaker ghetto over on the lake shore so everyone congragtes over here and the deck is breezy and nice to lounge on. Yesterday I went to S21 and the killing fields seeinf khmer rouge genocide sites. Pretty depressing. The cambodian people are my favorite yet, so it is hard to see the conditions of there past and present. Hard lives but wonderfully kind and friendly people. Tonight I went with one of the employees at my guest house ona an errand and on the way back we stopped to visit his family. The spoke no eglish but were happy to welcome me into the modest apartment shared by at least five people. My man borai's mom is getting over an illness and has been staying with his uncle here in the city but will return to the farm he grew up on in a few days. Hard lives with little visible hope for much improvement but they have a strong spirit and no bitternes. I will try to get back soon with photos. I must have taken 400 at angkor, so there might be good one somewhere in there.

3 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, Blogger mom said...

Whether it was yesterday or today or tomorrow where you are it is Nov 13 here, so Happy Birthday. Your trip sounds so great, I am glad you did it. Thanks for being so faithful and descriptive in your blog. We leave for New Zealand on Thursday here - but dont stop blogging, the rest of the family keeps up with you and we can access it from NZ as well from internet portals there.
If you need to reach us for anything try to email dad's office and they can try to find us. We dont have a set itinerary either so cant give you numbers.
Dad's blackberry may work (617) 763-3599 or Tim's cell 0211638173

mom

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger leecali said...

howdy-
just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! hope all is well. just checked up on all of your travels and we will have sooo much to talk about as you are hitting up a lot of my favorite places! good luck in vietnam! have fun, be safe old man-
lee

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger mom said...

a new employee just started at town hall who has family in Vietnam, if you need anything that he might help with let me know before Thursday am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home