Tom's Trip to South East Asia

Out of the 'Boat for a few months of tropical travel. No lease, No Dog, No work, No snow, might be the best time of my life to do something extreme. Watch from your office as I soak in sun and culture in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this mud season.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

I've made my way up to Nah Trang on the coast. It is quite lovely here with beautiful beaches and fun night life. But it is being developed at a rapid pace and I think in 5 years It will look a bit like florida with high rise hotels all along the beach. This is the case all over Vietnam. Since 95 when US embargos were lifted and tourism began this country has seen a lot of changes. It seems mostly for the better of the people, but it is nice to be here before the transition is complete. I've been traveling with a group of 8 since siem reap. The itinerary for Vietnam is pretty set for everyone with open bus tickets that stop you off in Nah Trang, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi for as long as you care to stay. So we are all together and heading in the same direction. Yesterday we took a boat trip to see some of the islands off the coast. A nice ride but nothing too eventful. Today was lazy with a late morning and an afternoon by the pool next to the sea. My trip is winding down and I will be unhappy to see it finish in a few weeks. Counting down the days. I'm heading to dinner now and friends are waiting. Hope all is well.

1 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hey bro. Just wanted to drop a line to apologize for not sending you any birthday wishes. It seems less urgent when we can't actually talk over the phone. Sounds like everything's going great and the pictures make me awfully jealous. I take every chance I can get to tell my world geo students about where you are and where Tim is. They seem adequately impressed and are yet to ask me why I'm just in Lexington.

Happy Thanksgiving, by the way, albeit a day early. Don't worry about not being able to have a real celebration there as all I've got is John and pre-cooked from Owen's. I think I'm going to try to make some of the fixings, though. We'll see if John can add any effort to the meal. Keep trekking, can't wait to hear less edited details.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home